Sunday, February 5, 2012

Map Process 1/31/12

Have you ever tried to write down steps one should take in order to succeed their goal? Well in class thats exactly what we did. Professor Moss explained to us what a Process Map is and how it works. The question we had to figure out as a class was "How to get an A in Art 220?" We covered the steps on what should be done to create a process map. The steps were; research(analysis), concept(creative), prototyping(analytical), design production(creative), assessment(analytical). Each single student was assigned to do their own map. Once we did, each student came up with their own explanation on what it is that should be done to get an A in his class. I didn't realize how helpful this was till I actually did the assignment. When you research and jot down your ideas, then arrange them in an orderly process, from what should be done first to what is last and the outcome, I guarantee one will have a great out come with their grade. Having a map as a guide not only keeps you organized, but is a great reference to look back to if you get lost along the way on what should be done for an A in the class. As we did that Moss also assigned the class to communicate it visually. First question that went through my head was "how can I draw something without words to show what I'm trying to say?," and to be honest this was actually not as bad as I thought. For example, if I wanted to show our assignments I drew a computer and the home page on Facebook. In fact, if I wanted to show participation I drew a man raising his hand. Just common actions one does in class can be helpful to communicate in a drawing. At first I didn't really understand what he was trying to teach in this lesson, but the outcome I got from it was rewarding. I think I've come to understand more on what it is to communicate visually. We don't always need words to tell the audience something, simple drawings with basic actions, or images of a drawn up syllabus tells the audience a lot. Not saying we can use words, but we can limit them to a basic verb, or phrase and tell exactly what we are trying to say. Towards the ending of the class in a brief discussion he mention why is it important to only show three main ideas when presenting a project. This question really never popped in my head, but once he said it, it got me thinking "really, why is that?," and the answer to this was because it creates balance. To me this meant, ok one is a bad idea, the other is an ok idea, and the last was the great idea. Professor Moss said "No! You never present an ok idea or a bad idea, you only want to present great ideas."  That got me thinking to myself and figured "thats so true." One should always present great ideas. The reason to present three great ideas also is, so the person who hired you or your showing can make a choice without having trouble. The number three not only does it work as a balance method, but it also deal psychologically. Which that is another topic for another class. This was my outcome for Art 220 class this week.

Adjectives:
1)Stunning- something really impressive 
2)Sweet- something pleasing to my eye site
3)Weak- something lacking skills, creativity, plain boring

No comments:

Post a Comment