Today was Game Presentation Day. We all went, one by one and gave a brief description of our games that we had developed at home. Each student was given at least five minutes. I was the fifth to sixth person to go up and present. I thought by me waiting a bit would help me better presenting my idea because I would be able to not do the mistakes other student had done before me, but when I went up my presentation wasn't up to his standards or better said wasn't presented well. The game I presented was called Alphabetical Run. The game is about children playing a memorization using the letters from the alphabet in an order sequence, while been active and making it a race. I thought by me using volunteers it would better show and describe what my game was all about and how one plays it. When I went up to present I left one huge part out, the running section, which hurt my presentation a lot. Professor Moss gave me a quick critique, but very harsh in my own words. He said that my presentation was off, that he would of like to see me present it on the board I had created to show my project instead of having others play the role. In fact he mentioned that if I'm going to take a risk I must make sure my risk works. Most of the comments he said were negative and at first it kinda bothered me, but then he told us the reason for such remarks. He explained to us that the reason he is so hard is because he cares about us. If he was just to mention positive things about our presentations there would be no progress on bettering ourselves in the future. Moss mention that students will always be nice to one another and that is not what he's going to do, he was going to tell us all the negative things we do to be able to fix them. A student in class said "I believe there must be a balance of good things and bad things" I thought he was right. I myself believe if one is told nothing but negative remarks about his work it only lowers their self-esteem, but that is not case. Moss was able to make me understand that in a group critique its good to hear the bad, but on a one on one a balance of good and bad is necessary. After hearing all the ideas and the criticisms from students and Professor Moss I was able to gain a better understanding on how I should absorb the information given to me. As an Artist we should be able to handle all types of criticism wether it is good or bad. It is not a bad thing to be told that your idea didn't work, or that it was missing key elements. Its actually a great form of progress. I learned more on how to listen to others, take in what they said, and later be able to not make the same mistakes and when taking a risk making sure it actually works. For example, if my tittle says "Run" my presentation should have running involved, or else change the name. Critique means to criticize and idea or any type of work, but it is up to the presenter on how they will use the feed back to their benefit. From now on when we have group critique day I won't be so close minded about negative remarks, but I will use them to my advantage and only progress from here on. I will correct all my mistakes as much as possible and hopefully get better feed backs from my audience.
Adjectives:
1) Dull- plain boring, lacking excitement
2) Delightful- something that is soothing, pleasing
3) Plane- something that is flat, not much detail, boring
No comments:
Post a Comment